Green Congregation Guides
Many guides to greening congregations have been developed by a diversity of religious traditions and denominations. Many of these programs are applicable to any congregation. Know a guide to add that isn’t listed here? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
– National Interfaith Power & Light
– Cool Congregations is a program to help congregations reduce their individual carbon footprint. There are start-up kits, carbon footprint calculators, and a Cool Congregations Challenge (with prizes!).
Becoming Carbon Positive: a manual for places of worship
-Members of green teams in congregations worked together to produce a greening manual for congregations. The manual is envisioned as a document that will continue to evolve as area congregations work together to reduce emissions.
Green Faith Guide
– District of Columbia Energy Office
– This guide was designed to assist in the development of an environmental outreach and education program targeting faith-based communities in DC; to help religious organizations better plan and implement building construction expansion, renovation, equipment replacement, maintenance and operation to reduce energy use and save money.
The Green Sanctuary Manual
– Unitarian Universalist Ministry for Earth (UUMFE) and the Unitarian Universalist Association
– The manual provides specific projects and activities that congregations can undertake that lead to recognition as a Green Sanctuary.
Responsible Purchasing Guide for Faith Communities
– Responsible Purchasing Network
– RPN members can download for free. Non- RPN members can access free excerpts.
– The guide provides key steps congregations can take, outlines ways to undertake each action, and calculates the positive impact of those actions.
Greening your Synagogue Packet
– Baltimore Jewish Environmental Network
– This guide provides resources to provide resources to local synagogues, their lay and professional leadership, to enhance the knowledge and appreciation of Jewish environmental issues.
Greenfaith Certification Program
– Greenfaith: Interfaith Partners for the Environment
– Resources in the area of worship, religious education and spiritual practices.
Putting Energy into Stewardship
– Energy Star
– This guide is designed to educate the faith community in taking advantage of the benefits of energy efficiency.
Downloadable Tip Sheets
– Blessed Earth
– These extremely practical tips set you up for stewardship success in all areas of life.
50 Ways to Help Save the Earth by Rebecca Barnes Davis
– Westminster John Knox Press
– Purchase for $14.99
– This guide outlines fifty ways in which you, your congregation, and your local community can help fight global warming and enjoy participation in a vital part of Christian discipleship.
Greening Guides – Room by room guide and Whole Conservation guide
– Union for Reform Judaism
– These guides offer conservation suggestions you can start using today in your home or in your congregation. One offers suggestions on a room-by-room basis; the other offers suggestions based on the conservation category.
Green Congregation Program
– Web of Creation
– This list of resources gives helpful tips in all areas of energy conservation at your congregation.
Just Living Series
– National Council of Churches of Christ
– This series includes guides on green living, sustaining waters, and other topics of greening your congregation.
Earth Care Congregations: A Guide to Greening Presbyterian Churches
– Presbyterian Church U.S.A.
– This series outlines and provides resources for a specific number of actions toward caring for God’s earth in four categories: worship, education, facilities, and outreach.
Animal Protection Ministries: A Guide for Churches
– The Humane Society of the United States
– Registration is needed for download
– Find ideas for activities for church groups. Learn from churches and pastors involved in animal-related activities on why animals are appropriate for theological consideration and their experiences in implementing these exciting ministries.
– A guide to Greening Sikh places of worship through landscaping, water conservation, food and waste reduction, and improving the indoor environment.
Creation Wise Guides
– Georgia Interfaith Power and Light
– A series of guides that include everything you need to know about pursuing Creation Wise certification, includes guides on water, sustainable purchasing, waste reduction, and energy efficiency.
GSS Health and Sustainability Guide: Greening Daily Operation for Faith Communities
– Greening Sacred Spaces
– This is an extensive guide that comes from Canada and covers all the details of greening the interior and exterior of your sacred space.